Over the past few years, I have slowly started doing things to be more low waste. I realize that I could never be truly zero waste, but I am making a conscious effort to reduce my waste. Here are some thing in 2021 that I plan to do to reduce my waste even more. Check out my list and maybe there’s some things in there that you can do too!
1. Stop using paper towels. Instead use cloth towels or old towels.
2. Stop using plastic sandwich bags. Use silicone reusable bags or sandwich bags that you can find on Etsy.
3. No more single use plastic utensils or straws. There are so many options available now. You can use silicone, bamboo, or silverware that you have from home. It can be weird at first to carry your things around with you when you go out, but eventually, it will feel normal and you will be helping the environment.
4. Wear reusable cloth masks rather than wearing disposable masks. In 2020, we started wearing face masks. I quickly went on Esty to see if I can find sustainable reusable masks. I found some many with cute prints. I have about 7 now and wear a different one every day and wash them all once a week.
Here are some things I have been doing for years!
1. No longer using plastic bags at the market, I take my reusable cloth bags and then wash them when I get home.
2. Not using plastic toothbrushes, instead, I use a biodegradable bamboo toothbrush.
3. Using cloth diapers. I admit that I haven’t used these 100% of the time, mainly because other people who took care of my daughter weren’t fans. But every little bit helps. These can be reused for years and come in many cute prints. The upfront costs might be pricey, but in the end you save money and create less trash.
4. Bar soaps and shampoo bars. These are better for the environment and your wallet. These last longer and create less waste.
5. Cloth pads and period panties. These are much better for the environment because you create less waste. I have been using cloth pads for about 2 years and just recently started using period panties about 6 months. If you are not a fan of pads in general, then I recommend the period panties from Thinx. They have so many different styles. They are comfortable, it feels like you have regular underwear on.
6. Use silicone reusable mat instead of aluminum foil when baking things like cookies